Tuesday, February 26, 2013

3330 G Street....The O'Rourke/Campbell/Guckin Mansion

     
     Michael O'Rourke was an Irish immigrant who built the grandest home in Kensington.
 

     He, along with his sons and nephews, worked as municipal contractors. Michael and his wife, Elizabeth, had 13 children but 9 of them died before the age of 19 (8 of them were under age 7 and 2 of them died 3 weeks apart in Aug 1875 from scarlet fever).
 

     In 1906, Michael bought land on G Street between Cornwall and Thayer Streets. He built houses for his sons along the east side of G Street: 3303 (Michael jr.), 3305 (John) and 3309 (James Patrick). In addition, he built 3311 as a Dentist Office for James Patrick and 3307 for his nephew (who was also named James Patrick). For himself, his wife and son Francis Xavier, he built the mansion at 3330 G Street. By 1910, their son James Patrick had also moved into the mansion. Michael died on March 1, 1910. In 1913, the family settled Michael's estate. They put the mansion up for sale and James Patrick, Francis and their mother, Elizabeth moved to 816 E Allegheny Ave (the 3 story house next to Beneficial Savings Bank). While their new house wasn't as grand as the mansion, I think the K and A location made more sense for James Patrick's business as an oral surgeon. 

     After about a year on the market, the mansion was sold on August 27, 1914 for $29,000. The new owner was Conrad Campbell. Conrad's father was William Campbell, a carpet weaver. The Campbells lived at 2949 D Street (D and Indiana) where they raised 3 sons, Conrad, James and Benjamin. All 3 sons studied music and became music teachers. Their first music shop was at 2905 Kensington Ave (D and Kensington) but after Benjamin left the business in 1911, Conrad and James formed C and J Music and moved to 501 E Allegheny Ave (D and Allegheny). Conrad also owned several rental properties in Kensington and by 1914, he was wealthy enough to buy the O' Rourke Mansion. Besides being the new home to C and J Music, Conrad rented out parts of the mansion as apartments to boarders. Conrad was a lifelong bachelor. Living in his apartment with him in 1920 was his mother and a Benjamin Rodgers who was listed as a fellow music teacher. The 1930 census shows Rodgers still living with Conrad, listed as "caretaker". 

     By the late 1920's, Conrad's brother James quit the music business and opened a Radio Store. By 1950, Conrad was no longer teaching music. The mansion is listed as C and J Furniture. I've heard from several sources that Conrad was a mean old man who always chased the neighborhood children off of his property. The house had gained a creepy reputation and it was said that "Old Man" Campbell ate children and kept jars of their teeth in the basement. It was a common dare to go run up onto the porch without being caught. Conrad Campbell died in the 1960's. I've heard some say that he committed suicide by hanging himself in the attic. His nephew had all of Conrad's furniture burned in a big bonfire. The mansion was donated to Ascension Church who then sold it to the Guckin Family and it became The Guckin Funeral Mansion. I attended Ascension School just across the street from the mansion during the 1970's. The mansion still had a creepy reputation. I remember @1973 attending a cub scout Halloween Haunted House party at the mansion that was a lot of fun. Just like Mr Campbell, Mr. Guckin used to chase away kids playing "Freedom" on the property but as an altar boy at Ascension, I  got to see Mr Guckin (Andrew) quite a bit and he seemed like a nice guy. I suppose just about everyone who grew up in Kensington knows somebody who was laid out at Guckins. My Grandmother's viewing was held there on October 24, 1997 and they did a fine job.

12 comments:

  1. I was in grad school in a room that faced this house. I remember seeing an old man sit by the window every day. My parents and grandmother were laid out here. I remember my mother always loved this old house.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Aunt Marie and Uncle Ross lived right across the street from there that build has been there for as long as I can remeber I sued to play in the sheridan school yard when I visited my aunt & Uncle I went to Mrs Marie Koehler's Viewing her Youger so Bobby is among the falloen on The walls of The Philadelphia Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Wall in D.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Great-Great Grandfather, was Michael O'Rourke and up until a month ago, I began researching to great detail on Michael and his family, as I am trying to piece who-is-who in the original family photographs we have on hand from the late 1800s. I wanted to take this time and thank you for being one of my valuable sources in my findings. Thank you, again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate....I enjoyed researching your family. I am very glad that my story has helped you in your research!

      Delete
    2. Dear Bob, Thank you so much for this post. My GrandMother Kitty O'Rourke grew up in the G Street Mansion. Her Grandfather was Michael O'Rourke. Kitty's parents were both deaf and met at Galludet University in DC. I am not sure if her father was John O'Rourke. If you know any contact information on Kate from the above post I would appreciate it. Kindest Regards, Ramona Kelly

      Delete
    3. dear kate, michael o'rourke is also my great great grandfather i am a grand daughter of margaret o'rourke/aloysius otto. would love to hear from you. Vanessa Olsen

      Delete
  4. Hi Bob, here's a bit more info you might find interesting. My Grandmother Katherine Hackett lived in 3331 G St across from the mansion with my dad in 1930 as boarders with the Mc Intyre family. My grandad Hackett died in 1916 and my grandmother married Francis X in 1937. Grandad O'Rourke was the only grandad we knew.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was just talking with my daughter and grandsons about the Guckin Mansion because I grew up on Reach Street and attended Ascension of Our Lord as as kid. I shared stories about playing on "Old Man" Campbell's porch and being chased away. So when we did some internet searching about the mansion, we all laughed to read your very accurate history about "Old Man" Campbell because I was one of those kids! Thank you for the wonderful stroll down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember i went to Sheridan Elementary school across the street i remember daring each other to run across the porches!! Live in Texas since my government vacation in Vietnam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have view a lot of family members and friends here and today we say goodbye to one of my bestfriend sons...he's like a nefew to me and he will be lay to rest finally today💔😭💔😭its a historic place to view your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Kate,
    I know I am taking a chance trying to contact you since your post was in 2013 but I thought I would give it a try. My great great grandfather was a brother of Michael O'Rourke. I would love to share information/pics. Contact me on FB if you would like to chat.

    Walda Kollock Thompson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lotus Dental Group is your dentist in campbell, trusted destination for top-notch dental care. With a focus on personalized service and cutting-edge techniques, we offer a comprehensive range of treatments tailored to your unique needs. From routine cleanings to cosmetic enhancements and restorative procedures, our experienced team is dedicated to ensuring your comfort and satisfaction.

    ReplyDelete